Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Ryokoo (vacation) pt1

After one final frantic day of preparations I'm finally on my way. I woke up in Tokyo today early to try and finish my errands and checking out early. 

Things were going well until I realized my duffel bag was way to big to ship by post. I ended up having to make a very expensive detour to donki (a kind of superstore) and buying a piece of luggage for 100$. I then had to ship both prices of luggage for 200$, ouch. At least they are going to my new home in San Diego.

That detour lasted for a good 4 hours. I finally set off to catch my train at 6. I said goodby to everyone went out with my luggage, which is already to heavy, and promptly realized I forgot my keys so I had to go back. 

Turns out they weren't there, or anywhere else I looked. Thankfully there was nothing of value on the keychain so I just forgot about it and went on my way.

I'm now riding the nozoni Shinkansen (the one that regular tourists can't ride) to Fukuoka (also apparently known as balata). It's super nice, quiet, fast and maybe even cleaner than a regular Shinkansen. I can see why they keep tourists out.

I have no idea where I will stay tonight, hopefully that will work itself out. I'm thinking magakisa (basically like an Internet cafe)

Tomorrow I leave for busan by ferry, and maybe Seoul. We'll see what I feel like doing. 

Oh for people who don't know my schedule it's this:

Aug 4 - arrive in Korea
Aug 10 - back in Fukuoka
Aug 17 - fly to shanghai
Aug 19 - Beijing by rolling death aka their Shinkansen
Aug 24 - shanghai again by the fastest way to die on the planet
Aug 28 - Taiwan
Sept 2 - Tokyo
Sept 5 - Seattle
Sept 13 - San Diego to start grad school

All blog posts will be typed from an iPhone so as normal don't expect high quality, but hopefully the mobileness will let me post fairly quick updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment